How to Get Rid of Dandruff?
If you’re reading this, you’re probably frustrated with recurring Dandruff. But, the good news is you can actually get rid of it with some minor lifestyle changes and efforts. Before knowing how to get rid of dandruff directly, you must know its causes so that you can avoid getting it back. Here is everything you need to know on: how to get rid of dandruff permanently?
What is Dandruff?
Flaky white dead cells, commonly known as dandruff, is a hair infection caused due to various reasons. In this condition, the scalp gets a layer of white flakes that starts shedding on its own. It shreds in a noticeable amount, which can be quite embarrassing. The problem is curable if appropriate precautions and measures are taken. But, when one gets dandruff, it brings an itching sensation which gets uncontrollable. It can worsen the problem to cause inflammation of the skin, also known as seborrhoeic dermatitis.
What Causes Dandruff?
Why do I have dandruff? Did you ever think of it? If yes, then you must get your answer. If you want to know how to get rid of dandruff, we need to diagnose the major causes of dandruff first and then avoid them or cure them naturally. Some of the significant dandruff causes:
1. Dry skin:
People with dry skin are more prone to have dandruff as the scalp lacks oil that makes the flakes smaller and less oily, ultimately shedding off from the head.
2. Oily or irritated skin:
Not only dry skin but, irritated or oily skin people also suffer from dandruff to a great extent due to Malassezia, which feeds the oil present in the scalp. The primary sign of this problem is red or greasy skin with a layer of yellowish or white scales. Being the most common suffering in oily skin people, not only scalp but other oil-rich glands also get affected with dandruff, like eyebrows, breastbone, areas at the back of ears, sides of nose, groins and at times armpits as well.
3. Sensitive skin:
People who are sensitive to various hair care products may get immediate dandruff issues if they fail to choose the right kind of product for their hair.
Dandruff can be usually seen in mid group people, i.e. Between adulthood and till the age of 50, but that is not a strong reason to have dandruff. Early and delayed age cases have been well noticed with time. Some people have a lifelong problem with dandruff while others may not have it at all.
It is believed that males have hormones that cause dandruff which is more likely to exceed the number than women. But again, there is no substantial claim to this research.
6. Unhealthy hygiene habits:
This may sound weird, but our regular habits add to flaky scalp resulting in the cause of dandruff in our hair. Sharing of your hairbrush or comb, not frequently cleaning your scalp, not oiling the scalp at intervals, not cleaning the comb or hairbrush regularly, etc., helps to boost the formation of dandruff in the scalp.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally?
Once we know the symptoms and causes of dandruff, now, natural remedies, on how to get rid of dandruff instantly, can be used to treat them. Not only these natural remedies will help you get rid of dandruff, but also they would help you to grow long and strong hair. Amongst the many, some of the well tested and researched home remedies of dandruff are:
1. Apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar for dandruff is a popular remedy.
- 1 banana with two cups of apple cider vinegar, blended together, is the most effective natural treatment for dandruff. The vitamin B present in the banana improves the circulation and maintains the health of the scalp while apple cider vinegar is a germ killer and well known for its anti-fungi properties.
- Apply the paste over the scalp and hair, to fully cover the hair for about 20 minutes. You can increase the combination of banana and apple cider vinegar according to the length and thickness of your hair.
Want to get rid of severe dandruff? Then, apple cider vinegar is a must. Apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water, when applied for 15 minutes on the hair, changes the Ph level of the scalp and reduces the production of yeast. For quick results, the mixture should be applied daily for a week and later washed off properly, however, after a week, once a week dandruff treatment is enough.
2. Neem and olive oil:
- A paste of dried crushed neem leaves and olive oil, when applied on the scalp for about an hour and later washed with mild shampoo and conditioner gives fast relief from dandruff.
- Neem extracts have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties and olive oil maintains the oil level of the scalp, which ultimately gives dandruff free and healthy scalp.
3. Lemon, Baking soda and apple cider vinegar:
- Amongst many dandruff home remedies, a beneficial combination of 3 tablespoons of the juice of lemon and 3 tablespoons of baking soda helps to get rid of dandruff when applied to the scalp.
- You need to keep the mixture until you feel the itchy sensation or 10 minutes shall be enough. Later wash off with a mild shampoo and use the apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.
- The baking soda shall help to reduce overactive fungi which causes dandruff whereas lemon shall remove the excess oil from the scalp and make it clean and clear.
- Yogurt either in combination with freshly ground black pepper or even sole helps to fight back dandruff due to its amazing probiotics properties. Being the main source of good bacteria, it helps to fight inflammation of the skin and reduce the formation of yeast, hence preventing the scaling of the scalp.
- Just take the sufficient amount of yogurt to fully cover your hair and scalp and leave for about 15 minutes. Fresh yogurt and pepper are recommended for making a good dandruff remedy.
5. Green tea:
We are all aware of the health benefits of drinking green tea, but little had we known how to get rid of dandruff with just two bags of green tea and a cup of hot water.
- Before taking a shower, dip the green tea in hot water and apply it on your hair for about 20 minutes. The antifungal properties shall deal with dandruff while antioxidants contain in the polyphenols of green tea will help to reinstate the health of the scalp.
6. Basil leaves:
A paste of a few basils leaves together with two teaspoon of amla powder and two teaspoons of water when applied meticulously on the scalp for 30 minutes, helps to cure dandruff and strengthen the scalp as well. They have antibacterial and antifungal properties good enough to treat the infection.
Henna has been applied in hands to celebrate festivals, since ages. But did you know you can also use it as a home remedy for dandruff?
- Well, the sun-dried leaves of henna can treat many hair infections which includes dandruff. Tannic, lawsone, mucilage and gallic are active constituents of henna that binds the keratin to the hair and remove excess oil. Also, by acting as a natural conditioner, it relieves irritation and provides a protective layer to the scalp, ultimately reducing the dandruff growth.
- For this, you need to take a teaspoon of henna powder with a teaspoon Amla powder, green tea powder, lemon juice, and any hair oil. Apply the smooth paste for 15 minutes on the scalp. Wash off.
Ginger has an active ingredient, known as volatile oil, which helps to remove dandruff from the scalp and, anti-inflammatory benefits which stimulates hair growth. Now, how to get rid of dandruff using ginger?
- For this, you need to get the ginger oil by peeling and grating it, and, squeezing it in a cheesecloth. Then, mix it with sesame oil.
- Rub this combination on the scalp for some time and then left on the scalp, before rinsing.
9. Aloe vera:
This is another great relief source, you can apply on the scalp to get rid of dandruff related issues. It also serves as one of the most effective itchy scalp remedies. It is extremely rich in antibacterial, anti-fungal and proteolytic enzyme properties, which breaks down proteins and dead skin cells and eradicates them from the scalp, so that, they do not appear as dandruff later.
- All you need to do is apply it directly on the scalp or dilute it with essential oil and leave for some time before rinsing. It will definitely give positive results.
Oiling of hair has been in trend since ages. Earlier people indeed had beautiful and healthy hair due to certain oils. Oils like olive oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, cedarwood oil, baby oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, rosemary oil, fish oil, oregano oil and other essential oils either applied solely or in dilution with other oil or product, helps to eliminate dandruff completely and quickly from the scalp. Especially, coconut oil for dandruff is very effective. You need to know your hair type to apply to correct oil to get the desired results.
Nature has answers for how to get rid of dandruff too! It has a great store for us to help us fight our regular health problems. It is just we should be aware of the benefits of the daily products we see and consume in our house. Chemicals help to fight diseases but leave side effects which deteriorate our health and living. So, to have a happy and healthy living, we should avoid chemicals and go organic. The benefits of using home-based products are indeed surprising and satisfying. Natural remedies for dandruff are worth giving a try.