Having yellow teeth is a big issue as people are embarrassed by them and try everything to conceal them; they even don’t like to show teeth while smiling due to this. Having discoloration on teeth is not just a cause for embarrassment, but also a concern. White teeth are a sign of healthy teeth which in turn signals the overall well-being and good hygiene of a person.
So it is imperative to keep them clean and healthy, so your body remains germs- free and you don’t lose confidence or hide, that beautiful smile just because of yellow teeth. Many people try so chemicals or even go to the dentist or worse use whitening strips (that may harm teeth in the long run)for getting rid of that problem, but the issue is that chemical harms our teeth/gums and the dentist may be costly.
How to Make your Teeth Whiter?
To make your teeth whiter, we have a solution to your problem and, that is home remedies there are many ingredients found in our kitchen and home that can help us to make our teeth whiter. The best part about using natural remedies is that they always work and have no side-effects. We will check out the remedies later but first, let’s read the reason behind yellow teeth.
Reasons for Teeth Yellowing:
- Coffee and tea– Drinking too much of these beverages can stain your teeth making them appear yellow or beige.
- Smoking– Also stains the teeth and is unhealthy for gums
- Dry mouth– If you suffer from dry mouth, you may have yellow teeth as less saliva equals to less protection for teeth.
- Aging- Due to aging, tooth enamels thin and dentin is visible which appears less white.
- Poor diet– Excessive sugar, soda or processed foods are one of the few reasons for this.
- Others– Intake of antibiotics and genetics also lead to discoloration of teeth.
5 Home Remedies to make your Teeth Whiter
1. Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide has antibacterial properties and keeps the gums and mouth germs free. It also whitens the teeth and protects them against periodontitis. Baking Soda is effective in removing plaque from the enamel, but since it’s a gritty substance it should be mixed to balance with water or hydrogen peroxide.
You can use this in two ways
- Use a mixture of water and Hydrogen peroxide in equal quantity and swish it around the mouth. After one minute spit it out and rinse your mouth with water.
- Another way is, mix equal amount of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and make a runny paste. Brush with this normally for 30 seconds and then rinse your mouth.
Note: Baking soda can rip off the enamel which doesn’t grow back so make sure you have proper guidance about this.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid which keeps the gums and mouth cleans from infection and keep teeth white. It kills bacteria and is a natural disinfectant and cleaner.
It has the potential to erode the enamel of the teeth and hence must not be used regularly and for a long time. Also, always dilute it with water. This will help to make your teeth whiter and healthier.
You can use this:
- By mixing apple cider vinegar with two times water and swishing it around the mouth for 5 minutes.
- After that, spit it out and clean your mouth properly with clean water.
3. Oil pulling
It is a traditional method that helps kills bacteria and keeps the mouth clean and teeth white. In old times, sesame oil was used for this, but it can be done using any oil, the popular choice nowadays is coconut oil as it is lighter and has a pleasant taste.
You can use this:
- Take a spoonful of coconut oil, put it in your mouth and swish with for 5-20 minutes, after that spit it out and rinse with water. It is a natural cleaner.
- Similarly, you can apply it on your toothbrush and brush normally.
- Lastly, some people apply coconut oil on their teeth after brushing for all day protection.
4. Lemon and orange peel
They are citrus rich fruits that have beneficial properties that help keep teeth white. They are good for digestion as well so include them in your diet.
You can use them:
- By applying a freshly squeezed juice of a lemon or use lemon essential oil and massaging the teeth with it, after a few minutes rinse the mouth with water.
- Rubbing an orange peel on the teeth and rinsing with plain water or hydrogen peroxide oral formula after a few minutes.
5. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal has amazing absorbing properties that trap toxins like plaque and a food particle stuck on teeth staining them and helps in whitening them.
You can use this:
- By wetting a toothbrush and dipping it in activated charcoal powder, brush normally with it and make sure that stained teeth are covered. After brushing, sip water and swish it around thoroughly and then spit.
- Don’t forget to rinse with plain water faster that. Use this 2-3 times a week.
- If you have crowns or caps or veneers, don’t use activated charcoal on your teeth.
Prevention is better than cure hence; here are some tips to help you prevent teeth from getting yellow prematurely:
- Brush your teeth daily after every time you drink or eat something that may stain them like a soda or acidic food. This will keep the teeth naturally white and remember to use toothpaste that is good.
- Avoid or cut down or soda and sugary food and start eating healthy.
- Quit smoking and if you love coffee, cut down the amount or brush after every cup.
- Use a straw to drink soda or other beverages that may discolor the teeth and try to avoid drinking too much of them.
- Drink natural water after eating/drinking something acidic so that it doesn’t stain your teeth.
- Include calcium in your diet as it strengthens the enamel preventing discoloration from its eroding.
- Also, brushing twice a day is important and so is flossing.
Try these home remedies for teeth whitening to make your teeth whiter before you visit your dentist, hopefully, these natural cures will help you and you will never shy away from smiling a real smile that shows all your teeth.